Amtoj S. Randhawa
Amtoj Randhawa is an associate in the Newport Beach, California office. His practice focuses on complex business and commercial litigation. He represents various business entities and individuals, both as plaintiffs and defendants, in a wide array of commercial disputes involving breaches of contract, business torts (e.g. fraud, conversion, etc.), contract interpretation, breaches of fiduciary duty, partnership disputes, and other related causes of action in California and Nevada state and federal courts.
Amtoj has aggressively litigated a variety of business-related claims for his clients in both state and federal court. In doing so, Amtoj has obtained numerous favorable awards, judgments, and case dispositive rulings and/or resolutions for his clients. Some of his recent representative experience includes the following:
• Second chaired and successfully defended a Fortune 5 corporation in a multi-million dollar civil trial in the United States District Court for the Northern District of California ultimately resulting in the jury awarding plaintiff 0.6% of the damages alleged and less than the client’s pre-trial offer of judgment.
• Successfully defended multiple accredited investors in a breach of contract, fraud, conversion, and tortious interference with contractual relations action in which the plaintiff alleged in excess of $5 million in damages.
• Successfully obtained multiple defense awards for various Fortune 100 clients in arbitration through aggressive litigation tactics and effective oral and written advocacy.
• Represented a national home improvement retailer in a products liability action and successfully obtained a complete defense award including an award for attorneys’ fees and costs.
• Successfully obtained numerous, favorable, case dispositive rulings through effective motions for summary judgment, motions to dismiss, and motions for summary adjudication.
• Successfully represented business entity in enforcing a $200,000 judgment against multiple debtors through the strategic use of judgment debtor exams, levying officers, and involuntary bankruptcy proceedings.
• Effectively deployed aggressive litigation tactics in pursuing insurers for complete defense and indemnity under additional insured endorsements for national, residential developers in various construction defect related actions.
• Successfully litigated bad faith, wrongful denial, and breach of contract claim against several, national insurance companies based on the companies’ pattern and practice of wrongfully denying coverage.
REAL ESTATE LITIGATION
In addition to his business litigation practice, Amtoj has assisted business entities and individuals in various real estate actions. Some of his recent representative experience includes the following:
• Successfully represented large Los Angeles’ entertainment venue in inverse condemnation, nuisance, and 42 U.S.C. §§ 1983, 1985, and 1986 action against the City of Los Angeles and the Los Angeles Police Department.
• Successfully represented multiple clients in an action against an HOA ultimately precluding the HOA from collecting a $25,000 past due balance.
• Successfully represented clients in an unlawful detainer action and used aggressive and effective negotiation tactics to obtain a four-month extension to vacate the premises—despite the clients facing imminent eviction.
• Successfully represented multiple, national, residential developers in various construction defect actions ultimately resulting in the client paying zero dollars towards attorney’s fees, costs, and/or settlement monies.
Outside of the office, Amtoj is an avid traveler and enjoys spending his free time experiencing new destinations. Amtoj enjoys hiking, golfing, and playing sports. Aside from being licensed to practice law in California and Nevada, Amtoj is also a licensed real estate broker and has a keen interest in various real estate ventures.
• University of California, Hastings College of the Law, J.D., 2014, cum laude
• Concentration in business, corporate, and intellectual property law
• University of California, San Diego, B.S., Economics: Management Science and B.A. in Psychology, 2010
• California, 2014
• Nevada, 2015
• United States Bankruptcy Court, Southern District of California
• United States District Court, District of Nevada
• United States District Court, Central District of California
• United States District Court, Northern District of California
• United States District Court, Southern District of California
• California Bureau of Real Estate
• South Asian Bar Association
• Orange County Bar Association