Aaron D. Lovaas
Aaron D. Lovaas is a partner in Las Vegas office of Newmeyer & Dillion. As a transactional business law attorney and business litigator, Aaron helps his clients understand their options in tackling both business opportunities and challenges. Unique to Aaron’s experience is his deep blend of transactional and litigation skills, enabling him to spot the legal issues from the perspectives of both a transactional attorney and litigator. Aaron also brings to the table his perspective as a business owner, having owned and managed his own boutique law firm for 12 years.
Aaron has substantial experience representing both transactional and litigation clients across the business spectrum in industries as diverse as real estate development, construction, manufacturing, telecommunications, financial services, nightclub management, and petroleum franchising, to name a few. Additionally, throughout his career, he has been engaged by not only local and national clients, but also by clients located internationally. Aaron has represented clients from Australia, Canada, Germany, Israel, Russia and other global locations, all with business interests or litigation matters in Nevada.
Over the course of his career, Aaron has helped hundreds of clients resolve business disputes through negotiation, mediation, arbitration, trials and appeals. In doing so, Aaron continuously advises his clients not only as to their legal rights and remedies, but also as to the economic, emotional and time consuming tolls of litigation, creating a holistic approach to litigation strategy. Aaron regularly appears in state, federal and Bankruptcy courts and has litigated cases in the following diverse practice areas, among others:
• Real estate, including mechanics lien issues, specific performance issues, title defect and breach of escrow issues, lenders’ covenants, restrictive covenants, and many others. In the course of this representation, Aaron has represented property owners, commercial tenants, land developers, general contractors, trade sub-contractors, title companies and lenders.
• Corporate litigation, including allegations of malfeasance and breaches of fiduciary duties among partners and shareholders.
• Litigation of business torts, including allegations of fraud, intentional interference, and unfair trade practices.
• Litigation of general breach of contract allegations including services agreements, sales agreements, franchising agreements and debtor/creditor situations.
In his transactional practice, Aaron helps entrepreneurs, established companies, and business owners of almost every kind successfully maneuver through the issues of entity formation, governance, acquisitions, sales, and general business contracts in a wide variety of business fields. Aaron routinely represents clients from the inception of a transaction through its closing and applies a thoughtful, client-specific approach to each transaction. Matters representative of his transactional practice include:
• Entity selection and formation, often for foreign clients forming U.S. based subsidiaries.
• Designing the structures of intertwined entities to maximize liability protections.
• Preparing LLC Operating Agreements, corporate By-Laws, and drafting internal governing documents such as Buy/Sell Agreements and Shareholder Agreements ranging from the simple to the complex.
• Advising entity principals and management as to the ramifications and restrictions of existing Operating Agreements, By-Laws and other governing documents.
• Buyer-side representation in acquisition of a number of patents, patent rights, licenses and production rights from the inventor for approximately $8 million, including, in coordination with the parties’ retained patent lawyer, preparation of the asset purchase agreement and all necessary ancillary agreements for the transaction in addition to forming all of the required entities and subsidiaries for the purchaser.
• Buyer-side representation in client’s acquisition of 100% of stock of family-owned construction company based in Florida.
• Seller-side representation of nightclub owner/operator in sale of 100% of its assets to publicly traded entertainment company headquartered in Texas.
• Seller-side representation of construction materials distributor in sale of 100% of its assets to national construction supply wholesaler/retailer in national “roll-up” transaction.
• Preparation and review of a wide variety of general business contracts such as leases, construction/development agreements, non-disclosure/solicitation/circumvention agreements, executive compensation/severance agreements, due diligence matters, services agreements, partnership and joint venture agreements.
• Outside general counsel services, advising business clients on all manner of legal issues, from litigation to corporate governance, as well as general business advice.
ALTERNATIVE DISPUTE RESOLUTION
Aaron readily recognizes that it makes economic, business and often emotional sense to take advantage of opportunities to resolve disputes by alternative means. To this end, he is occasionally engaged as a private mediator, assisting parties of burgeoning disputes reach sensible and creative solutions. Aaron also serves as an arbitrator through private engagement, as well as on a court-appointed basis, through the Eighth Judicial District Court-Annexed Arbitration Program in Clark County, Nevada.
AWARDS AND HONORS
• Selected to the Mountain States Super Lawyers list, 2008-2016
• “Top Lawyers in Nevada” by The Legal Network – 2015, 2016
• “Top Attorneys in the Mountain States” by Salt Lake Magazine – 2015, 2016
• “Top 100 Litigation Lawyers in Nevada” by the American Society of Legal Advocates – 2014
• “Top Lawyers in Southern Nevada” by Vegas, Inc. for Business Law – 2012
• 10.0 “Superb” ranking by Avvo.com in Business Law and Business Litigation
• University of Nevada, Las Vegas - Lee Business School, M.B.A., 2002
• Seattle University School of Law, J.D., 1995, cum laude; Puget Sound Inns of Court
• University of Nevada, Las Vegas, B.A., Political Science, 1992
• Nevada, 1995
• United States District Court, District of Nevada, 1995
• United States Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit, 2000
• LawPact, International Association of Business Law Firms
• American Bar Association
• University of Nevada Las Vegas, Lee Business School Alumni Board of Directors
• Las Vegas Philharmonic Guild
• Diploma in Advanced Trial Advocacy Skills - National Institute for Trial Advocacy, New Orleans, Louisiana, 2002
• “Indian Protectionism in the Global Marketplace” – published in Business in South Asia: Legal Views And News by North American South Asian Bar Association (2009)
• “Spousal Support and Cohabitation: The Economic Needs Test in Nevada” – published in Nevada Family Law Report (1999)
• Bulletproofing Your Business – Business For Breakfast Seminar Series (2009)
• Rainmaking, Retention & Referrals: The Three R’s of Client Development – ABA Section of Business Law Spring Meeting (2008 – Dallas, TX); and ABA Annual Meeting (2007 – San Francisco, CA)