Alan H. Packer
Alan Packer is a partner in the firm’s expanding Walnut Creek office. He has practiced law in California for over 20 years, most of it representing parties involved in real estate, home building, commercial construction, and insurance matters.
Alan represents homebuilders, property owners, and business clients on a broad range of legal matters, including risk management, insurance matters, wrap consultation and documentation, efforts to counter solicitation of homeowners, subcontract documentation, as well as complex litigation matters including construction defect and product defect claims, cost recovery actions, additional insured litigation with insurers, and creative dispute resolution. He also handles mechanic’s lien, stop notice, real estate, and payment and performance bond issues in residential and commercial contexts.
His experience includes:
• Contract disputes between builders, contractors, subcontractors, vendors, materialmen, purchasers, and real estate investors
• Large scale construction defect litigation
• Insurance coverage disputes with primary carriers and under additional insured endorsements
• Litigation relating to claimed defects in manufactured products incorporated into construction projects
• Risk management counseling regarding litigation avoidance techniques and the use of alternative dispute resolution
• Defense of nondisclosure claims involving alleged fraud in the sale of homes
• Defense of class action lawsuits
Alan is an occasional lecturer at seminars and in-house training sessions for clients on issues relating to mechanic’s liens, construction litigation, insurance issues, and related matters.
• Panelist, AGC California Annual Conference, Mixed Use Projects 2016: Legal, Practical, Insurance and Contracting Solutions, 2016
AWARDS AND HONORS
• Selected to the Northern California Super Lawyers list, 2008-2016
• AV® Preeminent Rating by Martindale-Hubbell Peer Review
• 2015 Top Rated Lawyer in Construction Law by ALM
• Tulane University School of Law, J.D., 1986, Order of the Coif
• University of Illinois, B.A. 1983
• California, 1986
• United States District Court, Northern District of California
• California Building Industry Association
• BIA, Bay Area
• Claims and Litigation Management Alliance