Lily (Toubi) Razai
Lily Razai is an associate in the Newport Beach office, concentrating her practice in the areas of business, real estate and insurance litigation. She represents clients ranging from international corporations to individuals, in matters in state and federal court, and in Alternative Dispute Resolution proceedings.
Drawing on the unique insight she gained as a law clerk in the Superior Court’s Law and Motion Department prior to joining the firm, Lily has achieved tremendous results in court for clients. As a certified mediator, Lily is also able to evaluate a case and employ techniques that lead to a constructive outcome, avoiding expensive and futile tactics.
Lily’s business litigation practice involves a broad range of issues, including breach of contract, misrepresentation and unfair business practices. Representative experience includes:
• Successfully settled a contract claim against a public entity for nearly $6 million.
• Successfully litigated in trial and on appeal a matter involving an option to buy a building, resulting in a verdict with over $1 million benefit to a real estate owner.
REAL ESTATE LITIGATION
As part of her real estate practice, Lily represents businesses and individuals in disputes involving real property. She has extensive experience in land use issues, and eminent domain and inverse condemnation matters, including valuation of real property, determining highest and best use, lease-hold value, and business goodwill analysis. Representative experience includes:
• Successfully litigated and tried a complex eminent domain matter on behalf of a gas retailer client, which resulted in a verdict and fees of over $1.2 million in lost business goodwill when the government’s initial offer was $0.
• Settled an eminent domain dispute on behalf of a hospitality industry client on the eve of trial for $5.7 million, when the initial offer by the public entity was only $3.2 million.
As part of the firm’s insurance litigation team, Lily has been involved in a wide variety of high stakes litigation, representing policy holders in insurance and bad faith ligation matters, and obtaining third party coverage. Lily also provides coverage and risk management analysis.
In 2009, Lily was the recipient of the Wiley W. Manuel Award for pro bono services she provided to the Public Law Center. Lily believes that our community is only as thriving as the least fortunate amongst us. Lily strives to provide legal aid to those who are most in need of access and guidance in our legal system.
AWARDS AND HONORS
• Wiley W. Manuel Award for pro bono services to the Public Law Center
• CALI Award, University of California, Hastings, College of the Law, Alternative Dispute Resolution, 2006
• University of California, Hastings College of the Law, J.D., 2007
• University of California, Berkeley, B.A., cum laude, 2003
• Supreme Court of California, 2007
• United States Court of Appeals, Ninth Circuit, 2012
• United States District Court, Central District of California, 2008
• United States District Court, Eastern District of California, 2011
• United States District Court, Southern District of California, 2011
• Orange County Bar Association
• Iranian American Bar Association