Ben Ammerman is a partner in the Newport Beach office. He focuses his practice in the areas of business, real estate, and class action defense.
In 2012, Ben second-chaired a nuisance, interference, and violation of the CC&Rs matter that resulted in a jury verdict and judgment of over $1 million in damages and attorney’s fees for the client, and included a full defense of the cross-complaint which alleged similar claims against the client.
Prior to joining Newmeyer and Dillion, Ben obtained summary judgment in favor of a client against the plaintiff in an action seeking in excess of $1 million in damages for negligence and inverse condemnation.
Before practicing law in the private sector, Ben served as a Judge Advocate in the United States Navy successfully defending several clients, obtaining multiple acquittals in both jury and bench trials. While a Judge Advocate, he was the Navy’s Senior Defense Counsel for the Pacific Northwest. Ben also served as a Surface Warfare Officer in the United States Navy twice deploying to the Persian Gulf. He presently serves as a Commander in the Navy Reserve Judge Advocate General’s Corps.
While serving in the Navy, Ben received a Joint Service Commendation Medal, three Navy and Marine Corps Commendation Medals, an Army Commendation Medal and two Navy and Marine Corps Achievement Medals as well as the Afghanistan Campaign Medal.
In 2013, Ben was recalled to active duty and deployed to Afghanistan where he served for nearly a year as a NATO Rule of Law Support Mission Team Chief and later as the Legal Advisor to the Commander, NATO Training Mission Afghanistan.
Ben was awarded the Owen Stark Heriot Award for the outstanding scholastic performance by a veteran or current member of the Armed Forces while in law school. Ben was inducted into Skull and Dagger, a secret honor society at the University of Southern California. Induction into Skull and Dagger is bestowed on less than 1% of the student population annually.
• University of San Diego - J.D., 2005, cum laude, Order of the Coif
• University of Southern California - B.A. Political Science, 1997, Departmental Honors
• California, 2005
• United States District Court, Central District of California, 2010
• United States District Court, Southern District of California, 2010
• United States District Court, Eastern District of California, 2010
• United States District Court, Northern District of California, 2010
• United States Court of Appeals, Ninth Circuit, 2010
• American Bar Association
• Orange County Bar Association
• Association of Business Trial Lawyers