Thomas F. Newmeyer
Tom Newmeyer is one of the founding partners of Newmeyer and Dillion LLP, which has grown from three attorneys in 1984 to over 70 lawyers in Newport Beach and Walnut Creek, California and Las Vegas, Nevada. He currently serves as Administrative Partner.
Tom has an active trial and appellate practice covering all areas of business litigation, including unfair competition, trade secrets, contract disputes, corporate and partnership dissolutions, trusts and estates, and labor and employment. He has extensive experience in representing clients in diverse areas including “green” technologies, subprime mortgages, internet and computer software, as well as real estate. Tom successfully defended Fisker Automotive Inc. in a “bet the company” dispute with Tesla Motors Inc. with the arbitrator finding that Tesla’s trade secret violations were brought in bad faith.
His most recent cases have involved claims of securities violations against real estate investment pools, dissolution of a corporation providing specialty financing to niche markets, and prosecuting fraud claims against an international bank.
Tom has had an AV rating from Martindale Hubbell (the highest such rating) for over 23 years. He has been recognized as one of the best lawyers in the national Best Lawyers in America peer review publication. He is consistently recognized by Super Lawyers, including being named to its list of the Top 50 Orange County Lawyers several times over several years and as one of the nation’s top lawyers in its national Corporate Counsel edition.
AWARDS AND HONORS
• Selected to the Southern California Super Lawyers list, 2005-2016
• Selected to Super Lawyers list of California Top 50 Orange County Lawyers, 2008, 2010 & 2012
• AV® Preeminent Rating by Martindale-Hubbell Peer Review
• Selected to the Orange County Best Lawyers list, Construction Law, Real Estate and Commercial Litigation, 2010-2017
• Loyola University of Los Angeles, J.D., 1978; cum laude; member of the St. Thomas More Law Honor Society; Note and Comment Editor of the Loyola Law Review; Scott Moot Court competition winner
• San Diego State University, B.S., 1975; highest honors
• California, 1978
• United States District Court, Northern District of California
• United States District Court, Central District of California
• United States District Court, Southern District of California
• United States District Court, Eastern District of California
• United States Court of Appeals, Ninth Circuit
• United States Supreme Court
• Orange County Bar Association, Board of Directors, Director at Large
• Association of Business Trial Lawyers