J. Nathan Owens
Nathan Owens manages the Las Vegas office. He represents businesses and individuals operating in a wide array of economic sectors including real estate, construction, insurance and health care in all stages of litigation in state and federal court.
Nathan has litigated and tried complex lawsuits and commercial disputes for his clients involving a broad range of tort and contract claims, including matters related to statutory and regulatory violation, fiduciary duties, misrepresentation, misappropriation of trade secrets, infringement of trademarks, unfair business practice, construction defects, insurance coverage and fraud.
Nathan has extensive experience in the representation of developers and general contractors on risk management strategies, including contractual and insurance matters outside of litigation. As a former residential developer himself, Nathan understands the complexity of issues builders and developers face in all aspects of development and construction. He uses his firsthand knowledge to bring a unique approach to problem solving.
A frequent lecturer and author, Nathan has written numerous articles on construction contract and risk management issues. He has also spoken at construction and real estate industry events, on topics including risk management, insurance, construction disputes and litigation developments.
In addition to being licensed in Nevada and California, Nathan is certified in Alternative Dispute Resolution from the prestigious Strauss Institute for Dispute Resolution. He devotes time to the pro bono representation of indigent clients in a variety of litigation and contract matters. Nathan is also on the board of the Waypoint Children’s Foundation which serves to enrich the lives of children through educational programs focused on the ocean.
Nathan was also a member of the 1992 National Championship
Division I Men’s Volleyball Team while enrolled at Pepperdine University.
• Panelist, West Coast Casualty’s Construction Defect Seminar, McMillin Albany LLP v. Superior Court (Van Tassell): Right to Repair Vindicated?, 2016
• Panelist, CLM National Construction Claims Conference, The Changing Landscape of Construction Defect Litigation and Its Impact on Trial Strategies, 2016
• Pepperdine University School of Law, J.D., 1998, cum laude
• Pepperdine University, B.S. in Economics with honors, 1995
• State Bar of Nevada
• United States District Court, District of Nevada
• State Bar of California
• United States District Court, Central District of California
• United States District Court, Eastern District of California
• United States District Court, Northern District of California
• United States District Court, Southern District of California
• Clark County Bar Association
• Orange County Bar Association
• Association of Business Trial Lawyers
• St. Thomas More Society Nevada
• Board Member of Waypoint Children’s Foundation
• Legal Aid Center of Las Vegas
• Southern Nevada Home Builders Association
• Las Vegas Defense Lawyers
• Newport Beach Rotary Club
• Las Vegas Chamber of Commerce