Eric J. Rollins
Eric Rollins is a partner in the Newport Beach office of Newmeyer & Dillion. His practice focuses on both the litigation of a broad range of complex business, real estate, construction, and insurance disputes, and the representation of talent within all aspects of the entertainment industry. Within these areas, Eric has resolved hundreds of matters in both state and federal court through negotiation, mediation, arbitration, and trial.
Eric enjoys solving multi-faceted issues for his clients, who he would coin as ‘inspirational’ in their own unique ways. His goal is to pay it forward and inspire others through his own approach to the legal practice. Eric’s philosophy as an attorney is to efficiently achieve exceptional results through hard work, compelling written and oral persuasion, leadership, and professionalism to opposing counsel and parties. His work ethic has shown significant results, helping him quickly achieve partnership – the fastest promotion in the firm’s history.
As a graduate of the Berklee College of Music, advisory board member at the Geffen Playhouse, and overall lover of the arts, Eric represents talent in structuring and implementing transactions within the entertainment industry. Specifically, Eric’s entertainment practice extends to writers, directors, actors, and producers, and Eric has unique experience in the music industry as both a musician and an advisor. Eric has also recently litigated various entertainment issues, which include:
• Successfully voided contract on behalf of talent based on the Miller-Ayala Athlete Agents Act.
• Successfully represented sports agency in conversion and unjust enrichment claim against former agent.
In his business litigation practice, Eric has litigated a variety of claims involving breach of contract, business torts, and real property torts. Specifically, Eric has represented plaintiffs and defendants in countless breach of contract cases and tort based claims such as fraud, negligent misrepresentation, civil conspiracy, unfair business practices, conversion, negligence, nuisance, and trespass to land. Recent representative experience includes:
• Successfully obtained case dispositive ruling via demurrer in representing an escrow company on a case involving 11 causes of action, including fraud, intentional and negligent infliction of emotional distress, and unfair business practices.
• Successfully sat first chair in an arbitration involving breach of contract and recovered 100% of the amount of damages in dispute.
• Successfully represented wireless companies in the permitting of wireless telecommunications facilities via petitions for writ of mandate.
• Successfully litigated numerous commercial litigation matters for a Fortune 100 company.
REAL ESTATE & CONSTRUCTION LITIGATION
In his real estate, construction, and insurance litigation practice, Eric represents numerous publicly-traded real estate developers and contractors in all matters related to construction issues. He has a strong understanding of the California’s Right to Repair Act, and has successfully resolved hundreds of millions of dollars in complex construction claims. Outside of the courtroom, Eric has been a guest speaker with the Building Industry Association of Southern California, and published articles in various trade-related organizations, including the Orange County Business Journal. Representative experience includes:
• Successfully represented a developer in construction defect claim seeking nine figures in damages for zero contribution from his client.
• Successfully negotiated a seven figure settlement for commercial property owner arising out of defective tennis courts.
• Successfully litigated numerous third-party bad faith claims against insurers involving more than forty underlying construction claims.
• Successfully sat first chair in a trial for a developer involving complex novel contractual indemnification issues against multiple defendants and obtained a successful verdict in his client’s favor.
• Successfully defended claims arising out of construction accidents based on the Privette doctrine.
Outside of the office, Eric is an avid golfer, lover of music as a former Epic Award Scholar at Berklee College of Music, and devoted husband and dad.
• Panelist, Building Industry Show, BILD Construction Defect Workshop, 2016
AWARDS AND HONORS
• American Jurisprudence Award (highest overall grade in trial advocacy, appellate advocacy, and legal drafting)
• Loyola of Los Angeles Law Review – Editor
• Epic Award Scholar
• Loyola Law School, J.D., May 2009
• Berklee College of Music, B.M., May 2004; magna cum laude
• California, 2009
• United States District Court, Northern District of California
• United States District Court, Central District of California
• United States District Court, Eastern District of California
• United States District Court, Southern District of California
• Advisory Board Member, Geffen Playhouse
• Beverly Hills Bar Association
• Orange County Bar Association
• Building Industry Association of Orange County